Tengnoupal highway bandh plans have intensified pressure on the Manipur government to address the shortage of doctors at key health facilities in Tengnoupal district. Civil society organisations (CSOs) have warned of a 48-hour total shutdown of the National Highway from August 24 if authorities fail to implement the Governor’s order on the transfer and posting of doctors.
The decision was taken during a district-level CSO meeting at the Tengnoupal district headquarters on August 18. The organisations said the proposed agitation would follow the expiry of a one-week deadline issued in their earlier statement on August 16.
Doctors’ postings at centre of dispute
The CSOs are demanding immediate deployment of doctors at three important government health facilities — the Primary Health Centre (PHC) Tengnoupal, PHC Moreh and the Sub-Divisional Hospital (SDH) Moreh.
According to the organisations, the shortage is affecting the proper functioning of these facilities and limiting access to medical care for residents. They have urged the state government to act on the Governor’s order and ensure that doctors are stationed at the designated facilities.
The issue has gained urgency amid concerns over communicable diseases in the district. The CSOs had earlier cited cases and risks involving dengue, typhoid, malaria and other communicable illnesses while seeking the deployment of medical personnel.
Why Tengnoupal highway bandh matters
The proposed Tengnoupal highway bandh could affect movement along a key road corridor connecting the district and the border town of Moreh. The CSOs have described the action as a pressure measure aimed at securing government intervention on healthcare services.
The organisations have appealed to the public to cooperate with the agitation. At the same time, they have urged government authorities to take necessary steps before the proposed blockade begins to prevent disruption.
The CSOs also said the government would be held responsible for the consequences if their demands remain unaddressed and the highway blockade goes ahead as announced.
Moreh hospital remains a key concern
The demand comes against the backdrop of efforts to restore healthcare services in Moreh after the facility faced prolonged disruption following the outbreak of ethnic violence in Manipur.
The Sub-Divisional Hospital in Moreh reopened in February 2025 after remaining non-operational since the violence that began on May 3, 2023. The reopening involved the Tengnoupal district health administration and local CSOs, which had pledged to support the restoration of medical services.
The Moreh facility remains an important public healthcare institution in the border area. The Manipur government’s health-related records also list Moreh Hospital and PHC Moreh among public health facilities in Tengnoupal district.
Health concerns add pressure
The latest dispute highlights the challenges faced by healthcare facilities in a geographically important but relatively remote district.
The Tengnoupal district administration has continued to list health-related initiatives at Moreh. In July 2026, the district administration announced a health camp at the Sub-Divisional Hospital in Moreh to address public health concerns.
The CSOs, however, say temporary measures cannot replace regular doctor postings. Their demand centres on ensuring that health institutions have adequate medical staff so residents can receive treatment without having to travel elsewhere.
Government response could determine next step
The proposed Tengnoupal highway bandh has given the state government a limited window to resolve the dispute before the August 24 deadline. The CSOs have made clear that they want the doctors posted at Tengnoupal PHC, Moreh PHC and Moreh SDH before resorting to the highway shutdown.
For residents, the issue extends beyond the proposed blockade. Access to doctors and functioning health facilities is central to everyday healthcare, particularly when communicable diseases are a concern.
If the government and the CSOs reach an agreement before August 24, the proposed Tengnoupal highway bandh could be avoided. If not, the planned 48-hour highway action could disrupt transportation while putting renewed attention on the longstanding demand for stronger healthcare services in the district.
Sikkim Proposes Geo-Fenced Online Permit System for Restricted and Protected Areas

