Assam flood relief gets urgent push from Sanjay Singh

0
Assam flood relief gets urgent push from Sanjay Singh

Assam flood relief has come under renewed political scrutiny after Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to provide stronger assistance to the state amid a severe flood crisis. Singh has called for Assam’s floods to be declared a “national disaster” and demanded a special financial package for affected families.

In a letter to the Prime Minister, Singh said the scale of destruction required a larger central response. He pointed to widespread damage in districts including Charaideo, Sivasagar and Jorhat, where flooding has disrupted homes, agriculture, livestock and essential services.

Sanjay Singh seeks bigger Assam flood relief package

Singh said more than 10 lakh people had been affected by the floods and that the death toll had crossed 100, according to his assessment cited in his appeal. He argued that the situation had reached a level requiring national attention rather than being treated only as a state-level disaster.

The AAP leader also highlighted the impact on farmers. Thousands of acres of agricultural land have reportedly been submerged, damaging standing crops and threatening rural livelihoods. Livestock losses have added to the financial pressure on families already struggling to recover from the flooding.

Singh said many displaced families were facing shortages of food, drinking water and essential medicines. He also warned that prolonged flooding and poor sanitation could increase the risk of infectious diseases in affected areas.

Assam flood relief and the demand for MPLAD funds

One of Singh’s key demands is that Members of Parliament should be permitted to use their MPLAD funds for relief, reconstruction and rehabilitation work in flood-hit areas.

According to Singh, allowing MPs to use these funds would enable elected representatives to support local relief efforts more directly. He also sought compensation for farmers, livestock owners and families whose houses have been damaged or destroyed.

The demand comes as Assam continues to deal with the aftermath of an unusually severe monsoon flood. The crisis has caused extensive disruption across parts of Upper Assam and placed additional pressure on local administrations and relief agencies.

Centre has already released funds to Assam

Singh’s criticism comes despite financial assistance already approved by the Centre. On August 1, Union Home Minister Amit Shah approved an advance release of ₹2,117.85 crore from the Central share of the State Disaster Response Fund for seven flood-affected states.

Assam was sanctioned ₹379.35 crore as an advance release of the first instalment of the Centre’s SDRF share for 2026-27. The Union government also said that Inter-Ministerial Central Teams had visited Assam twice to assess flood damage. NDRF teams and logistical support have also been provided where required.

The Centre’s assistance provides an important counterpoint to Singh’s criticism. While the AAP MP is calling for substantially greater support and a special package, the Union government has said that funds and disaster-response assistance have already been extended to the affected states.

Assam steps up its own relief measures

The state government has also announced several measures for flood-hit families. In early August, the Assam government transferred ₹15,000 each to 62,696 affected families in Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat through Direct Benefit Transfer. Around 75,000 families in the four districts were identified for the assistance.

More recently, the state released another ₹47.93 crore to 31,951 families, taking total flood relief assistance distributed by the Assam government in 2026 to ₹146.26 crore, according to reports.

These measures are aimed at helping families return home, clear flood debris and meet immediate household needs.

AAP calls for a permanent solution

Beyond immediate Assam flood relief, Singh has urged the Centre to focus on a long-term solution to the state’s recurring flood problem. He referred to previous assurances about making Assam flood-free and argued that annual relief operations cannot substitute for lasting flood-management measures.

The appeal comes after a devastating 2026 flood season. The Associated Press reported that July flooding in Assam was the worst in six decades, with more than 100 deaths and over 700,000 people displaced. Experts have subsequently called for stronger early-warning systems, better floodplain management and long-term planning.

Singh’s demand therefore combines immediate financial assistance with calls for structural intervention. For flood-affected communities, the central issue remains timely access to compensation, shelter, food, healthcare and support for rebuilding livelihoods.

As floodwaters recede in several areas, attention is now shifting from emergency rescue to rehabilitation. The debate over Assam flood relief is likely to continue as damage assessments progress and affected families seek support to rebuild their homes, farms and livelihoods.

Sikkim Proposes Geo-Fenced Online Permit System for Restricted and Protected Areas

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here