Akhil Gogoi Defends Strong Flood Criticism in Sivasagar

0
Akhil Gogoi Defends Strong Flood Criticism in Sivasagar

Akhil Gogoi has defended his criticism of Assam Cabinet minister Bimal Borah and Sivasagar Deputy Commissioner Mridul Yadav over the handling of the severe flood situation in the district. The Sivasagar MLA and Raijor Dal chief said on Saturday that the scale of destruction justified his anger and renewed his allegations of inadequate disaster preparedness, rescue capacity and relief distribution.

Akhil Gogoi cites scale of Sivasagar devastation

Addressing a press conference at his Guwahati residence, Akhil Gogoi said the flood damage across his constituency was extensive. He claimed that 17 of the 27 panchayats were completely devastated, while the remaining panchayats suffered at least 50 per cent damage.

According to him, damage in the worst-hit panchayats ranged between 80 and 100 per cent. Six of the constituency’s 14 urban wards were also affected, with flooding reaching up to 95 per cent in some areas.

Gogoi said Sivasagar has 51,949 families and estimated that nearly 80 per cent of them were affected by the floods. He argued that the scale of the crisis warranted his criticism of both Borah and Yadav.

Questions over disaster preparedness

A major part of Akhil Gogoi’s criticism focused on the state’s preparedness for large-scale flooding. He questioned the availability of personnel and rescue equipment during an emergency.

Gogoi claimed that Assam, with a population of around 3.5 crore, has only about 650 State Disaster Response Force personnel. He also said he had requested 40 rescue boats for operations in Sivasagar but was informed by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma that only 18 to 20 boats were available across the state.

He said local wooden boats had to be arranged to support rescue operations. According to Gogoi, the experience showed that the state needed stronger disaster-management infrastructure and greater preparedness before future floods.

Relief distribution becomes key flashpoint

Akhil Gogoi also alleged shortcomings in the government’s response after the flooding began. He accused the administration of failing to provide timely warnings and said rescue and relief operations were inadequate.

The MLA claimed that local residents played a major role in rescuing people, estimating that they were responsible for saving nearly 90 per cent of those affected in his constituency.

His criticism comes after he had repeatedly raised concerns over flood relief distribution in Sivasagar. On August 20, he confronted DC Mridul Yadav during an official meeting over alleged delays in providing government assistance to flood-hit families. The incident later triggered a protest by employees of the Deputy Commissioner’s office, who accused the MLA of misbehaving with the DC. The employees boycotted work on August 21 and wore black cloth as part of their protest.

Earlier demand against Bimal Borah

The dispute over flood management has been building for several weeks. Earlier in August, Gogoi had demanded the removal of Bimal Borah as Guardian Minister of Sivasagar, alleging irregularities and political favouritism in the distribution of relief in Sivasagar and neighbouring Charaideo.

He had claimed that some genuine flood-affected families were excluded from government assistance while some allegedly ineligible beneficiaries received aid. Gogoi also questioned the role of political workers in relief distribution and called for greater transparency in identifying beneficiaries. These remain allegations made by the MLA and have not been independently established in the available reports.

Political blame intensifies over floods

Akhil Gogoi has now expanded his criticism beyond Borah and the district administration. He named Water Resources Minister and Demow MLA Susanta Borgohain, Sonari MLA Dhormeswar Konwar and Nazira MLA Mayur Borgohain while alleging that they should also be held responsible for the flood situation.

Gogoi said the legislators had not responded to his allegations. The claims come amid wider scrutiny of Assam’s flood preparedness and relief systems following severe flooding across several districts.

The state government has maintained that relief and rescue operations were being conducted across affected areas. During an earlier visit to flood-hit Upper Assam, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma described the flooding as unprecedented and said ministers, including Bimal Borah, were working on the ground. Sarma also said additional boats requested by Gogoi would be arranged.

The latest exchange has therefore widened the political debate over accountability during disasters. While Gogoi says the devastation justified his criticism, the controversy involving the Sivasagar DC office has added another layer to the dispute between the MLA and the district administration.

For residents facing damaged homes, disrupted livelihoods and delayed assistance, the central issue remains timely rescue and relief. The continuing allegations and counterclaims are likely to keep flood preparedness, resource availability and the delivery of government assistance under scrutiny in Sivasagar.

Mizoram Achieves Historic Cardiac Breakthrough With First Open-Heart Surgery

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here